Transfer Course Reference and Guide
Will the Course Transfer?
- Use the Transfer Credit Tool at https://admissions.psu.edu/info/future/transfer/credit/ to determine if a course from another academic institution is a direct equivalent to a Penn State course or acceptable college level credit.
- If a course was not evaluated, or if it is listed as pending review (TRN XFRPEN), follow the instructions below.
- Current PSU students PLANNING TO TAKE transfer courses at another domestic institution
Search for courses using the Transfer Credit Tool. If the course is not yet evaluated, or if it is listed as pending review (TRN XFRPEN), visit the Course Substitutions and Reviews web portal, https://coursesub.psu.edu/, and click on “New Transfer Review”. If no course evaluation is found, you will be prompted to upload a course syllabus. If not available electronically, mail syllabi to Undergraduate Admissions, The Pennsylvania State University, 201 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802-1294. You may also fax syllabi to 814-863-7590. Include your PSU ID number in all communications with Penn State.
Do NOT submit course descriptions instead of syllabi. Course descriptions are only accepted in extenuating circumstances (e.g., the school no longer exists).
Once you have submitted a course syllabus for review, the Undergraduate Admissions Office will send your syllabus to the appropriate faculty review committee. It can take up to 3-5 weeks from the date a syllabus is received to the time you are notified via the CSRS Student Portal about how the course will transfer to Penn State, or if more information is needed to evaluate the course. Students may wish to consult an academic adviser before enrolling in transfer courses to determine how they may apply to their Penn State degree.
- Current PSU students who HAVE COMPLETED College courses at another institution
Email course syllabi for TRN XFRPEN (transfer pending review) courses listed on your Evaluation of Transferable Credit to firstname.lastname@example.org. If not available electronically, mail syllabi to Undergraduate Admissions, The Pennsylvania State University, 201 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802-1294. You may also fax syllabi to 814-863-7590. Include your PSU ID number in all communications with Penn State.
It can take up to six weeks from the date a syllabus is received to the time your Penn State record is updated from a TRN XFRPEN to a specific course evaluation. Submit course syllabi for “transfer pending review courses” as soon as possible. If you do not submit your course information immediately, your transfer pending review credits will be reassigned to general credit (TRN XFRGEN) during your first semester of enrollment at Penn State.
Use LionPATH to monitor your transfer credits: lionpath.psu.edu. Your Transfer Credit Report updates immediately upon departmental review of XFRPEN courses and upon transfer credit additions to your Penn State record. To view transfer credit evaluations, access the LionPATH Academics tab, select Academic Records, and click View Transfer Credit Report.
- PSU students PLANNING to take INTERNATIONAL COURSES (NOT through PSU Global Programs Education Abroad Office
Students collect course syllabi and determine which college/university will provide the official transcript for study abroad courses. The student can meet with an Admissions counselor to discuss how study abroad credit will transfer to Penn State. Counselors are available for walk-in appointments Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm, in the Undergraduate Admissions Office, 201 Shields Building. Counselors will not be able to review your study abroad syllabi in-person. The Study Abroad Transfer Credit request (https://admissions.psu.edu/info/future/transfer/credit/study-abroad-pre-approval-form/) must be submitted with course syllabi; an admissions counselor will email the evaluations to you. Include your PSU ID number in all communications with Penn State.
It can take up to six weeks from the date a syllabus is received until you are notified via your PSU email about how the course will transfer to Penn State. Students may wish to consult with an academic adviser before enrolling in courses to determine how transfer credits may apply to their Penn State degree.
COURSES WHICH ARE NOT DIRECT EQUIVALENTS TO PSU COURSES:
IF a course is not a direct equivalent, the following transfer codes can assist you:
- XFRGA - Arts Course
- XFRGH - Humanities Courses
- XFRGHA - Health and Physical Activity Course
- XFRGN - Natural Sciences Course
- XFRGS - Social and Behavioral Sciences Course
- XFRGQ - General Quantification Courses
- XFRGWS - General Writing/Speaking Courses
- XFRIL - International Cultures Courses
- XFRUS - United States Cultures Courses
* XFRGEN - Courses that transfer as “XFRGEN” must be evaluated to determine if they can fulfill any graduation requirement required by the student’s program of study. Please consult with an academic advisor if needed.
TO REGISTER FOR COURSES AT ANOTHER ACADEMIC INSTITUTION:
- Each academic institution determines their own requirements and procedures for “visiting” students. Students take responsibility for these. Research the institution’s website or contact its admissions or registration office.
- Plan a few months ahead. Completing this process may require multiple steps and extended time.
|If registration requires…||Then…|
|Official or unofficial transcript from Penn State||Select "Transcript: View Unofficial" from the "other academic" dropdown menu in the LionPATH Student Center. To order an official transcript, visit the Registrar’s website.|
Signature or letter of approval from Penn State advisor/college official
|Use “Enrollment Verification” from LionPATH. Contact your KINES adviser if needed.|
|Evidence that you have met prerequisites||Provide the school with a Penn State transcript (see above) and course description of the course that matches with their prerequisite.|
Signature on their registration form from advisor/college official stating that you meet prerequisites
Bring the following to drop-in hours:
a. Completed registration form including signature.
b. Course descriptions of the prerequisites from the other school. For example, if their Math 101 is a prerequisite, provide a description of their Math 101.
c. Copy of your Academic Requirements (audit).
GENERAL TRANSFER CREDIT INFORMATION
- Credits are transferred; grades are not.
- In order for the credits to transfer, a grade of C or better must be earned.
- Credits transferred from another school do not affect a student’s grade-point average.
- Upon completion of a transfer course, request to have an official transcript sent to Penn State. If your school requires an email address to send a transcript electronically, use email@example.com. If mailing, send to: The Pennsylvania State University, Undergraduate Admissions, 201 Shields Building University Park, PA 16802-1294
- Once transfer course work is added to the Penn State student record, those credits cannot be removed.
- There are nominal fees to get an official transcript sent and to have Penn State record the credits.
NOTE: All transfer credits should be reviewed and posted to your PSU transcript prior your last semester at Penn State.