Skip to main content

All University Park employees, graduate and undergraduate students supported on wage payroll, and students supported on graduate assistantships must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by Dec. 8, per federal vaccine mandate. Read more >>

Faculty/Staff Resources
What is Health and Human Development?

Diverse fields of study that share one
common goal: enriching the lives of others.

Search search
Mobile Search:
Sandwich board for Health and Human Development's Education abroad open house.

New -  online Study Abroad 101 module!

This module covers a wide range of topics, including the application process and how to view budget sheets for each program. 

Why should I study abroad?

There are many benefits to studying abroad. Studies have shown that students who study abroad show positive changes in their personality and their ability to communicate with people from other cultures. Students who study abroad also have higher graduation rates and find jobs sooner after their graduation.

When should I go?

Meet with your advisor about your interest in study abroad as early in your academic career as possible. At a minimum, you should start planning at least one year prior to when you would like to study abroad. Most programs require that you have at least sophomore standing to participate.

Where should I study?

Many locations may be a good fit for you. Your study abroad options will depend upon your major, career interests, language fluency, budget, and other factors. Penn State offers 350 programs in more than 50 countries! You can view a list of programs led by HHD faculty, search all Penn State-approved programs, or talk with your academic advisor about which programs might be best for you.

How much will it cost?

The cost of studying abroad varies dramatically depending upon where you want to study and how long you will be there. Many students choose to participate in an embedded program – an on-campus course with a short-term travel component led by a Penn State faculty member. Programs offered by third-party providers such as IES or CIEE might be particularly appealing to out-of-state students, because they pay in-state tuition when studying abroad through these Penn State-approved programs.

Keep in mind that the best way to control your costs is to select a program that will keep you on track toward your degree. More information about costs and funding study abroad is available on the Global Programs website.

Which courses will count?

When conducting a program search on the Global Programs website, you can view the “Historical Course List” for that program, which will show you which courses have been assigned a Penn State course number.

Historical Course List

Clicking on "View Historical Course List" will show you a list of courses that have been assigned a Penn State course number, as shown in the example below.


Historical Course List Sample

If a course that you want to take has not been assigned a course number, you will need to submit a course equivalency request. More information on the course equivalency process is available here.